Home › Community Forums › Agile Theme Support › Don't want portfolio format for home page / blog pages
- This topic has 6 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 9 years, 1 month ago by Paul.
December 10, 2013 at 4:57 pm #9440
Hi– previous discussion https://appfinite.com/topic/how-to-remove-portfolio-from-home-page/ gets close to this, but doesn’t quite have the fix for me.
I don’t want portfolio style for any of my pages– just regular blog style posts. Agile looks and works great, except weirdness happens around the front page– which I just want to behave as category page, but containing all posts.
Different configurations under Settings / Reading / Front page displays sorta do this, but not quite:
1. Set Front page displays to Static Page, with Front Page set to “blog” (my blog/ page, which is at root) and Posts page set to blank (“- Select-“)
– Home page looks right, but navigation at bottom doesn’t work– URLs page/2/, page/3/, etc. all just show same page 1 posts (but number of pages indicated at bottom is correct, so it is counting them right).
2. Set Front page displays to Static Page, with both Front Page and Posts Page set to “blog”, (my blog/ page, which is at root).
– Home page looks right, but subsequent pages all just show home page posts in Portfolio format, and navigation at bottom doesn’t work, as above. Also, I get a warning on Settings / Reading config pane that the two (Front and Posts) should not be set to the same thing.
3. Front page displays set to Your Latest Posts
All posts show in portfolio format rather than blog format– but the paging / Next Page / Previous Page at bottom all work correctly.
As mentioned above, the Category pages all look and page they way they should– I just want home page to work the same way.
Any advice or pointers greatly appreciated!
PaulJanuary 13, 2014 at 1:30 pm #9992
Hi again– I got a WP guru to look into this issue. He said that there seems to be a bug in Agile when you don’t have the home page set to the default, portfolio view. If you set the home page to blog view, the theme isn’t relying on the standard Genesis code to handle pagination, as it should. Also, the theme isn’t acknowledging parameters, like the number of posts to display on a page.
If so, this definitely seems like a problem and I’m wondering if you have an update or workaround for it– or else, I’m wondering what we’re missing with this.
Thanks very much!
PaulJanuary 13, 2014 at 9:39 pm #10003WesModerator
It’s very possible that it could be a bug somewhere in the theme itself, or conflict with the new Genesis 2.0 (assuming that’s what you’re using). Every since the update in Genesis, I had to update the portfolio files of some of the other themes that I got updated for HTML5/Genesis 2.0 since there were changes in Genesis that required new code.
I definitely will be redeveloping this theme based on the latest version of Genesis 2.0/HTML5…..so that update should definitely fix whatever issues you were having before, plus it will look a lot better than it was before. I’m not sure exactly when I’ll have it done, since I have a few themes I’m finishing up at the moment, but I’d say no more than 2 weeks at the most since there is a lot of work that needs to be done to get this setup.
I’ll try and keep you updated if I can remember. If you’re on any social networks, you can check for the update here – http://twitter.com/wesstraham I always let everyone know when there’s an update.January 14, 2014 at 1:51 pm #10016
Thank you Wes– yeah, I’m using Genesis 2.0.1. I’m sorry the Genesis update requires so much surgery on the themes, but that sounds good, I’m looking forward to the new version. You say it will look a lot better than before, but you already have me with the way the navigation and scrolling work. Thanks again– PaulFebruary 3, 2014 at 6:27 pm #10376
Hi Wes– just bugging you to find out ETA on redeveloped Agile for Genesis 2.0.1– you say above that you’re working on it along with some others, expected them ready around now. Thanks!February 3, 2014 at 8:37 pm #10382WesModerator
Sorry about that, I’ve been backed up trying to get a lot of things done at once…..I am planning to hire some help here soon, as you can see I definitely need it!
I’m going to try and get to it this week, I may just have to move it up on the list.February 4, 2014 at 12:30 pm #10390
Thank you for the update– good luck with everything (and have fun)!
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.