July 20, 2013 at 12:47 pm #5953streetballCustomer
Hi, I’m a big fin of appfinite and have been a long time studiopress member. I recently purchased the Ally theme and was extremely disappointed in three things that can remedied easily.
1. Clearly state what needs to be done in order to install the theme properly. You have to upload the theme via ftp.
2. Clearly state that the plugin contains a free version and a standalone version that have to be unzipped separately and then uploaded via ftp in the “plugins” folder.
3. Theme setup and customization – clearly state what needs to be done to set up the theme like Studiopress does with their themes.
Thanks for building and making a great theme. I just wanted to let people know that buying themes outside of Studiopress may cause hours of work b/c directions and support are not easily accessible.
StreetballJuly 20, 2013 at 1:11 pm #5956
Hello @streetball I want to take some time to clear a few things up –
1. This theme can be installed through the WordPress installer, just like any other theme…..and you can also install it through FTP. You don’t have to use FTP, and the WP installer works fine (I just tested this myself).
2. I think you may be confused, there isn’t a free and standalone version, Wes bought a license to use the FULL version of the plugin with this theme. The “standalone” version that he’s talking about is actually included inside of this theme……Meaning you can install the WordPress version, and you can also use the standalone version if you want. Again, this is all included in the theme, you don’t have to download or purchase anything else.
I’m guessing you haven’t read the READ ME file included in the theme. If you take a look it clearly explains that the slider is inside the plugins folder.
3. Setting up this theme is just like any other theme, you simply add content inside the widget areas and that’s it really. This is also explained in the Read Me file.
There should also be an XML file which will load up some of the demo content as well.
“I just wanted to let people know that buying themes outside of Studiopress may cause hours of work b/c directions and support are not easily accessible.”
– Again, the Read Me file explains how to do everything, so it definitely won’t take hours to get setup. And the Support IS easily accessible, that’s what the Support Forums are here for.
I just wanted to clear this up in case any others out there are confused on how to get things setup 🙂
BTW Wes is actually working on a brand new version of this theme (as well as all the other themes)…..so definitely be on a lookout for that as a lot of things will be updated for Genesis 2.0. Exciting stuff!
July 20, 2013 at 1:13 pm #5957
Also, in reference to #1 did you have trouble installing it through the WP installer?
July 20, 2013 at 3:25 pm #5958streetballCustomer
Eric, many thx for the prompt response on a saturday. I have not been able to get the theme to upload within my wordpress dashboard. i have read the readme file, and thank you once again. I’ll figure it out. Please disregard my previous post.
ryanJuly 20, 2013 at 4:59 pm #5960
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.